Travel insurance on board all Sumatran Surfariis adventures is MANDATORY. It’s much less likely that you’ll incur an injury than possibly having delayed flights, damaged boards, lost luggage, etc. But it’s important that you are covered in all cases. We require that all insurance packages cover emergency medical evacuation, and it’s just as important that your property and expenses are covered as it is any potential physical harm.There are a lot of insurance companies out there that offer travel insurance, but only a few specialize in surf travel. They know the routine and know how to ask the specific questions for this type of trip. Here are some of the better companies we’ve come across:
INDO SURF TRAVEL INSURANCE
This is the Travel Insurance recommended by Indo surf veteran Peter Neely, author of the ”Indo Surf & Lingo” guidebook. It’s designed specially for Indo surf charters like ours. Available for Australian surfers (or anyone else whose trip starts in Australia, or includes Australia as part of the same trip), this is top level “UNLIMITED” insurance yet is quite inexpensive.
Peter first surfed Bali in 1975, then explored all over Indo for the next 40 years. He wrote his first Indo surf guidebook in 1992, and it’s been updated every year to basically become THE #1 Guidebook for surfing all over Indonesia. We’re always in touch with Peter, and in fact that’s one of our long-running guests Justin Ayre shown eating it in Pete’s ad (Justin RIPS, so it shows you how important travel insurance is – haha!). He loves helping surfers have the best possible Indo surf trip and he’s very knowledgeable, so we highly recommend him.
Find out more details here:
INDO SURF TRAVEL INSURANCE
The best travel insurance for surfers going anywhere in the world, especially the Mentawais, Bali, G-land, and beyond.
FREE QUOTE NOW
UNLIMITED Hospital costs & Emergency Medivac flights +
ALL the comprehensive travel insurance benefits you need
“Less than $9 a day can keep bankruptcy away”
PS. All SUMATRAN SURFARIS customers can get a $10 Discount - email us for details!
World Nomads has been around for over a decade now, specializing in adventure travel for people all over the world. They are also a pretty cool company because they have a very philanthropic approach and has raised close to a million dollars through their Footprint program to give back to the communities to which they travel. They have a pretty big staff and are very knowledgeable. Read more about them on their advert page here:
Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from over 140 countries and is designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
With travel insurance from WorldNomads.com you can:
- Buy online while travelling or away from home
- Extend and claim online
- Cover your adventure, including a range of sports and adventure activities
- Buy worldwide cover from specialist travel insurers, built for independent travellers from over 140 countries
- Give a little back to a local community
- Stay informed and safe when you travel
Travel Insurance. Simple & flexible.
Buy online, even after you have left home. Extend and claim online, while travelling. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is built for adventurous travellers from over 140 countries, with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and 24 hour emergency support when you need it most.
At WorldNomads.com you can claim online. And if you don’t entirely trust insurance companies, have a look at how the insurers behind World Nomads.com have helped some of our travellers.
Simple & Flexible
Already travelling or had a change of plans? No problem! Unlike other policies, WorldNomads.com lets you buy and extend online, even while away from home. We cover most adventure sports, from bungee jumping in New Zealand to white-water rafting in Colorado.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing your travel insurance plan to make sure that you’ve got the cover you want for your adventure:
- Cancellation: It’s no fun if you’re seriously ill before you leave and can’t go on your trip. All travel insurance plans are different and some have specific terms of cover for cancellation, so please read the policy wording relevant to you carefully.
- Lost or Stolen Gear: Most travel insurance plans have a per-item value limit – make sure its high enough to cover your gear or choose a policy that allows you to increase the limit.
- Medical expenses over and above evacuation: Check that your cover includes emergency treatment while away and transport to bring you home – remembering that in more serious circumstances, insurance providers will usually insist on getting you home for medical treatment if you’re fit enough to travel.
- Adventurous Activities: Look carefully at what your policy covers as each plan is different and may only cover specific sports and activities. Check that you’re covered to do all of the adventurous activities that you are planning while you’re away.
- Personal Liability: Accidents happen. If it’s found to be your fault and someone decides to sue you, you want to be covered. Read the full description of coverage in the policy wording and talk to the insurer first before you admit it was your fault. Also keep in mind travel insurance doesn’t typically cover liability while you’re driving (be it cars, motorbikes, scooters, boats… anything with a motor, really) so make sure you’ve got appropriate cover elsewhere if you need it.
- Is it safe to go there? Make sure you check your Government’s Travel Warnings and keep up to date with the latest travel safety advice on the road. You may not be covered if you choose to go to a place affected by war, terrorism, civil unrest or environmental disasters (like volcanoes, earthquakes, floods) and other major events where you may be at risk.