1. Upon arrival into the Padang airport (or your first port of entry in Indonesia), you must purchase your travel visa. The cost is of your travel visa is US$ 35.00, or the equivalent in other currencies. If you have a CLEAN, UNMARKED US$ 20 and US$ 5 bill, this will greatly expedite the process. This will cover 30 days of surfing and travel in Indo. If you are planning on staying longer than 30 days in Indonesia, you will need to apply for a 60-day visa at the Indonesian embassy closest to you.
2. PLEASE TRY AND GET YOUR GROUP TO ARRIVE & DEPART ON SAME FLIGHTS OR SIMILAR TIMES TO HELP WITH PICKUPS AND DROP OFFS.
3. You will also need to fill out an arrival card that immigration checks. They will stamp the card and tear off half. KEEP THE REMAINING HALF AND DO NOT LOSE IT. The same goes for the receipt you get for your $35 visa on arrival, as they will be checking for these items upon departure
4. Once through immigration you will be bombarded with porters. They are persistent, pushy and not the best welcome. They will nearly expect you to use them, but in all honesty it’s really not necessary. It’s probably less than 100m from where your bags come out to where our flatbeds are parked. So, if you can somehow avoid the porters, it’s definitely not a big hassle to carry your bags. However, should you require their help, or if you are unable to resist their “charm”, you will need to pay them. 20,000 – 30,000idr (2-3usd/aud) for ONE PORTER to help you is more than enough for what they do.
5. The Padang airport is congested, but small. A representative from Sumatran Surfariis will be waiting for you just outside the gates and will be holding a SUMATRAN SURFARIIS sign, and he should be easy to spot. Please watch for him and introduce yourself.
6. Our couriers will take you and your baggage from the airport to our offices. These drivers are our guys and safe. They also help to assist you with bags, once you are outside the terminal.
7. On the rare case that something has gone wrong and the drivers are not there, please let the taxi drivers and scouts asking you if you want a lift that you are with Sumatran Surfariis and inform them which boat you are on. You can contact our office and office managers directly at the following numbers:
We have recently moved offices; so if you do jump in a taxi, give the address as;
B12, Parak Gadang.
We will pay the taxi on arrival, so don’t stress about paying or bargaining.
8. Once you’re at our office, it won’t be long before you get a cold drink and chill out. But before you get too settled in, we need to photocopy your passport 3 times. If you have a copy, great; it’s always good to travel with one, but we will still need to photocopy the passport three times. Also note, if you are the last person in your group to arrive and you’re arriving later in the evening, it is a huge help to have 3 copies of your passport ready, so we can take you straight to the boat.
9. Our team will be in the office to say hi and welcome you. The drivers will look after your boards and bags, and soon after arrival they will take your boards and larger items down to the boat. Thus, if there is something special you need from your gear for immediate use, please grab it out at the office. Your boards and bags will be safe, but if you want to hang on to this and travel with it, it’s fine as well. We recommend keeping your small bag with passport and money with you at all times.
10. While at the office, it’s good to consider if you want to order extra beer, or if you want to run to the market to purchase and specialty items prior to your trip. Free WIFI is available in the office, and there are tee shirts and small gifts to buy. You can order food and drinks, crash out on one of the big couches, or go for a walk around the area. Our new office is located in an upscale residential area, and with all residential areas in Padang we have to be respectful. Therefore, whenever you leave the office, please wear a tee shirt and please be considerate of our neighbors.
11. Once on board, all drinking water, 3 meals per day, snacks, 3 beers, 3 juices, and 3 soft drinks per day per person are covered in the price of your charter. Any other expenses such as hotel, phone calls, extra drinks, dinners or miscellaneous purchases are to be covered by you. Our drivers will take you to the market or anywhere in Padang, free of charge.
12. The only accepted currency in Padang is Indonesian Rupiah. We can change US dollars or Australian dollars for you at our office, however traveler’s checks can only be changed at a bank. Banks in Padang are only open until 2pm (weekdays). An ATM is available with a 8 minute walk from the office. Their is a map on our white board to guide you to this location.
13. All our boats are now anchored at the Bungus harbor, which is an additional 45 minutes from our offices (90 minutes total from the airport). We like to be leaving the office at about 5pm if all guests have arrived in time so we can begin the crossing with ample time to reach the first waves around daybreak.
14. We have used surfboards for sale on the second floor of our office. The sizes, qualities, and quantities vary over time, but if you’re short a board upon arrival in Padang, there is a good chance we have something compatible for you in our office.
Posted in: TRAVEL INFORMATION